Carbonara on a tight budget

Yesterday, I had craving for Carbonara. To be honest, I am a pasta lover. I can eat pasta for a year without complaining, my most favorite is carbonara. So I was wondering yesterday how to have a scrumptious carbonara on budget. My only budget for my carbonara is less than 100.

I went to the nearest grocery store to have the stuff that I needed. I will share you my own take how to make carbonara on a tight budget. When I say tight- I really mean TIGHT. Trust me, I was surprised to the things that I bought.

INGREDIENTS:

  • Pasta
I'm using fiesta pasta here, I have the 1kg on stock and I just used the remaining that's left. It's only around 50 php the last time I purchased this on my nearest sari-sari store.
  • Bacon, Ham or Tuna (whatever works for you)
Usually I go for Century Tuna- Flakes in oil whenever I'm in a tight budget because that's one of the most affordable protein source in the market but on that specific day, I wanted to have ham. So I went to the frozen section and surprisingly found this MOST affordable bacon that I've ever seen. 

note: I'm sorry for the bad quality photos, its already dinner time when I am taking pictures of it and I don't have a nice light source. 

I found this King Sue Mini Honey Bacon packet and I was completely blown out when I found out the price, its only 52 php. 


It contain 3 lovely slices of bacon which works enough for me because one big pack of bacon was just a waste of money for me because I cannot actually store them for next meal because I don't have refrigerator as of the moment. It's a really great idea for people who're craving with bacon not to mention the price- really expensive. I sliced bacon into small pieces


  • 2 eggs yolks
I don't know for some reason when I'm looking affordable and cheap carbonara recipes, all of them have eggs yolks so I followed the instruction


It's only 6 php on your local sari-sari store. the first egg's yolk was already cracked. My bad!

  • Carbonara sauce
It's really my first time to make carbonara on a pre-made sauce so that's why I'm wondering why on earth there is a yolk there but meh, I'm craving so let's get it on. Here's the star of the show...



There's a instruction on the back to dip it into warm water for 15-20 mins before using so I followed the instruction.

Clara Ole Carbonara Pasta Sauce- surprisingly, the price is so affordable it's only 28.95 php. Watch my review for this pasta sauce. The key for the perfect cooked bacon is to keep mixing


PROCEDURE:

The first thing that I did was cook the bacon into low heat. I'm using electric cooker so I'm trying to cook it first in a high heat then turn it into low heat when the bacon already caramelized


Afterwards, I put the pre made sauce while the the heat was low followed by the yolk then salt and pepper to taste. 


FINAL THOUGHTS:

To sum it all up, I only had less than 100 php for this carbonara and one pack of clara ole's carbonara sauce- 200g will make 3-4 servings which is really affordable. I heard there is also a pasta merienda pack from Del Monte which is also affordable, I'm not sure though. If you will add that, it's roughly around 150 php and good for 3-4 service. Not bad. 

King Sue's bacon was really smokey and kind of salty and sweet. Balanced!

I didn't add cheese though because like I have said, I don't have refrigerator to store it in and also I don't have cheese grater. But you can actually add it depending on your taste. 

Check out the review about clara ole link's here


Share:

2 comments

  1. Oh! You did it! Congrats! Hehe. I haven't tried King Sue's Bacon but I've seen it before. I'm a Purefoods baby so that's what I buy but if you're really in a tight budget, King Sue seems to be the perfect choice for bacon toppings. Great post Mhow! :)

    ❤ Louise | www.louisechelleblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knowww! I told you, I'm craving for carbonara and I made this. Well, I've been a purefoods baby as well but I don't have ref to store it. This is a really great idea, I have no choice but to share it. Hope you're doing better though! :*

      Delete

All blog post and pictures are owned by the blogger- Mhow unless otherwise stated. Powered by Blogger.